Saturday 14 July 2012

The Waverley - the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world

I've mentioned The Waverley before and shared photos in this blog - yesterday I embarked on a 5 island cruise around the west coast which took me up to Arran.  It was a glorious day for a trip 'doon the watter' as they say.


The Waverley berthed and waiting for her passengers.   Please join me on this tour of the boat.




On board looking towards the stern



The captain on the bridge



The engine - not that I'm an officianado but it was fascinating watching the moving parts.






Now this I didn't know - that the original Waverley was involved in the Great War and also saw action in WW2 at Dunkirk.




Internal corridors again with seating of which there is plenty.



and of course the funnel.   I just had to look up


One of the lounge bars where I enjoyed a pint of Bellhaven Beer.


The outside areas where benches run round the full length of the boat.


....and a final shot of the funnels














2 comments:

  1. How absolutely wonderful this is, Celia. And all topped off with blue sky, I note. I hope you have wonderful trip and capture it all to share. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Annie - I was very lucky.

    I had booked this a couple of weeks earlier as there was a special offer on through one of those voucher companies.

    My playing about will now diminish as I've negotiated a longer work contract which starts on Monday; well it will pay for a change of car and next holiday.
    Celia x

    ReplyDelete

It's always lovely to hear from you.